Ultra X Scotland

What a wonderful weekend up in Scotland revisiting Loch Ness! Two days of volunteering as a course marker for the 110km event, and running the 50km myself before a couple of rest days in Dumfries.

My journey up was certainly an adventure itself. Borrowing my brother in laws campervan and planning to do half my journey up on a Thursday evening after work, I got 30mins into my journey until black smoke poured out of the back of the exhaust. Turns out 1/4 tank of diesel actually means it’s empty! 🙈 Stuck half way up a hill through the Yorkshire Dales I was very kindly picked up by a young lady who took me to the nearest petrol station 10 miles down the road so I could fill up my 5litre bottle. An hour later I was back on the road making my way back to the same station so I could fully fill up on fuel, only to learn they were closing up when I arrived! Luckily they allowed me to fill up otherwise I would have been stuck. 1.30am I entered Scotland, pulled over in a lay by to get some kip.

I made the remainder of my journey through the stunning Highlands a few hours later as I approached Fort Augustus. Upon arrival I was straight back on the road to mark part of the course for the Saturday stage. And of course I got lost on several occasions and had no phone reception 🤷‍♂️

The Saturday happened to be my birthday and again spent part of the day marking the route for Sundays stage 🎉 These two days were really important to me as I had not done any running for a couple of weeks since picking up a sciatica injury. Although it was still an issue for me, it was tolerable and decided that I would attempt to complete the 50km stage.

We woke up to the most glorious of mornings, the sun blazing down on our campsite. My aim was to enjoy the day and try to complete the course and move out of my usual competitive mindset.

The start was fairly tough and I could feel the pinching of my nervous issue so I tried to take it easy. Especially as for 8km we were climbing 400m+ in the heat. The views at the top were well worth it though- a stunning sight of Loch Ness and it’s surroundings 🏞️

Continuing to follow the Great Glen, we moved away from the peaks and passed through plenty of trails and woodlands, showing the unique wilderness that was on offer. This was probably my favourite section - it was so peaceful and a lovely area to run through.

The last section I could feel the fatigue settle in. Some parts were tricky with more cruel climbs and rocky descents to make. A side note to that- some of the female runners were incredible. I have never seen anyone run with so much intent and ease uphill. This definitely spurred me to push on. 

Upon crossing the finish line in Dores was a feeling or real satisfaction. I had managed to complete it when only the day before I was unsure as to whether I could run. Not only that, to finish 3rd male was a shock! So much for not being competitive 😂🥉

I love these events. The people are amazing and proves what we are capable of achieving. Truly special. ❤️

After waiting a while to get back to the campsite, I picked up the camper and headed to Dumfries to unwind with family before continuing my journey back home 🏡 

Comments

Popular Posts