Pilgrim Challenge: XNRG Endurance Events


How crazy to say that I am already into my second ultra of the year. Thankfully the Gods were on side and the weekend was set up for perfect running conditions.

Day 1: Farnham to Redhill


I drove down from Yorkshire on the Friday evening and stayed over in Ealing with my sister before getting ready for the big weekend. The Saturday morning I miscalculated slightly, arriving at Sandy Farms (Farnham) only to realise the start time was 30mins earlier than I had thought giving me a solid 15mins to get myself registered and ready to roll. Add to that, I had left my race number at home. Oops. 🙊




That being said, I set off on time with the last wave of runners and got myself moving along the North Downs Way. The route follows ancient trackways along the chalk ridges and wooded downland across two main areas- the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and across the border into Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The landscape had wonderful woodland and grassland before opening up to its rich slopes. 





I anticipated the ground to be pretty soft and muddy due to the rubbish weather we have recently had, but the trails were very dry for the most parts. The trail is really well maintained by the National Trail Trust who have done a fantastic job in preserving the area. The area really is unspoilt.


The first 20km I found relatively easy with the course being relatively flat and I naively thought that this would be the case for most of the route. I guess the clue is in the names. The hills began to kick in!

Box hill was particularly difficult with its steep climb and descents into deep valleys and in parts proved to be challenging. 



I was grateful for hitting the checkpoints where I was literally inhaling the giant salted pretzels! Never had they taste so good.


As I passed the finish line at Redhill I immediately went over to get myself a massage as I had begun to feel a slight strain in my back along the middle of my spine. 





As I was unable to secure accommodation at the school with most of the other participants who were taking part in the two day event, I made my way to my Airbnb host whilst others went to their hotels. Funnily enough the host was a pilot for EasyJet so we had lots to talk about before he headed out for the evening allowing me the chance to refresh and unwind. Unfortunately sleep came little to me due to the noise from the traffic on the main road. It was a shame though not to have stayed with the other participants at the school who enjoyed food and guest speakers. Next time!


I finished the day in 5th place with a time of 04:36:25.


Day 2: Redhill to Farnham


Up bright and early with a delicious breakfast demolished, I was picked up and taken to the starting point to do the route in reverse and make my way back to Farnham and my car. Again we settled into another beautiful day and this time had to tackle the hard stuff first. I won’t lie, I felt a bit leggy from the previous day and found myself at a much slower pace. But then I appreciated that as I could soak in the spectacular sights and really take in and enjoy the oldest trade route in England. I definitely wanted to stop for a glass of wine then passing through the wineries too! 🍷




I was grateful for reaching the end with another 5th place finish of 04:58:39.




Overall this took me to 4th place for the weekend at 09:35:04. Only over an hour behind the eventual winner who was rapid to say the least! Nevertheless I was delighted with my finish.


Overall I want to say what a fantastic event this was and the team, from the organisers to the volunteers were brilliant.  


Perhaps the hardest part of the weekend. A 5hr drive back up North 🙈


Time: 09:35:04 ⏰

Finish: 4th




Comments

Popular Posts